Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Haggling

We certainly didn't expect to find a house that we really liked quite as quickly as we did. After the 5th house we didn't really feel the need to keep looking. We brought some family members back the next day to look at it, mulled it over, and decided to make an offer! This was definitely unchartered territory for us. We had no idea how to go about making an offer, how low was too low, etc. With the help of our realtor we made our initial offer and then had to wait an excruciating 18 hours to hear back. I didn't anticipate just how anxious I would feel during this time. We haggled for 3 days and I don't think I've ever checked my email/ cell phone so much in my life. Wednesday afternoon they finally accepted our offer!

Phil's parents, whose opinions he very much values, were in New Zealand during this whole process. Before they left, Phil mentioned that we were going to start looking at houses. Next thing we know, we have an offer accepted and they're still out of the country! Um, surprise! We bought a house! Phil was finally able to Skype with them before they returned and, needless to say, he felt much better knowing they were in the loop!

We had our inspection last week and there were really only 2 big things that needed to be addressed. The electrical panel has been recalled and is a fire hazard (!) so that will have to be replaced and the furnace was "short cycling." Other than that, the house has some minor things that we'll need to fix over time...typical stuff for a house built 28 years ago. Philsey had a great time following the inspector around and learning all about home repairs, maybe if I ask him nicely he'll write all about his experiences soon :)

I will end this blog with 2 things:

1) We are newbies at all of this. Phil is eager to learn/tackle some of the simpler home repair projects (We have a basic home repair book on the way!) and I am eager to paint and decorate and make our house a home. Unfortunately, I really don't have an eye for all things interior design, though I wish I did. Luckily I have wonderful, talented friends like Emmie Reine to create mood boards for our house! Check out her blog about how to spruce up our living room by clicking here!

2) Don't you want to see the house that we almost own?


Adios Muchachos!

No comments:

Post a Comment