Sunday, May 6, 2012

Thanks Mr. Inspector

Hello, my name is Philip Stewart Meyer. If you have been following from the beginning I am the aforementioned husband. I have gone into this adventure with an open mind and tried to see the positives and potential in all of the houses we looked at. Some required a bit more imagination than others but, in the end we found what would be exactly what we wanted in the biggest investment we have made. And I couldn't be more excited! The process seemed pretty cut and dry. We look for houses. We find the one we like. Offer. Counter Offer. Rinse. Repeat.

Then we had the inspection. I went into it knowing that the house would have things wrong with it. More than a few times did people tell me that there is no such thing as the perfect house. That being said, there really wasn't too much wrong with the house. Mr. Inspector was a great guy and walked me through the process and the house (Or I followed him around like a wide-eyed puppy). As he checked cabinets, behind appliances, shined his flashlight on ceilings, and took plenty of pictures for the report, he explained what he was doing and what he was looking for in each instance. Not everything he checked was a problem i.e. he showed me the main load bearing wall and pointed out that there were no 45 degree cracks from the corners of the doors which all fit into the frames nicely, this meant that there was no shifting of that wall. YAY! The only things that were major issues that needed to be fixed right away were the breaker panel, which was not only recalled a few years ago, but had multiple wires going into some of the plugs. Not good. So that needed replaced. And the furnace was original to the house, for those of you keeping track. House was built in '84, so its pretty damn old. (For a furnace) The rest that Mr. Inspector noticed around the house were things that I could fix by myself with the help of my handy dandy new Black and Decker DIY book, or with the help of family and friends.

All that to say I feel the inspection went well and now I am even more excited to move into this house and make it ours. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode coming to this blog soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment